The 2nd Day of Christmas

On the Second Day of Christmas, Fork and The Cork gave to me:

The second dish on my Christmas Eve menu:

Gratineed Mustard Cream Onions

So, a couple of years ago, I decided to make a side dish of sauteed pearl onions in pomegranate juice, and cabernet.  They were delicious.  Where I went wrong was buying the little onions you need to peel by hand and I chose to wait until the day of, to peel.  This year, I bought those same little onions, but am happily writing my blog instead of peeling onions, as I peeled and peeled last night!  I don't know if substituting frozen onions would work in this dish, I just am averting possible disaster by not finding out the answer to that on Christmas eve.  I've had plenty of disasters (don't worry, there will be a blog solely devoted to THAT), and my goal this year is to pull all of it off without a hitch. 

If I haven't mentioned it, we are hosting 14 tonight.  I am so proud of myself, I actually cleaned the house, prepped the food, wrapped presents, all before today.  No tears, at least just yet!!!  We'll see.  Check back tomorrow......


yield: Makes 8 servings

active time: 45 min (plus more for peeling and peeling)
total time: 1 1/2 hr

Ingredients:

  • 2 pound white pearl onions
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3 tablespoons cream Sherry
  • 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Equipment: a 2-qt shallow gratin or other flameproof baking dish (2 inches deep)



Directions:

Cook onions in a large heavy pot of boiling salted water (2 teaspoons salt for 4 quarts water) until just tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain (reserve pot). Cool onions to warm, then peel.

Melt butter in dry pot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Whisk in reserved cooking water, milk, and Sherry and cook, whisking frequently, until mixture is thickened, about 8 minutes. Whisk in mustards, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add onions to sauce and simmer 5 minutes.


Preheat broiler.

Transfer creamed onions to baking dish and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until top is golden brown and bubbling, about 3 minutes.

Cooks' note:


Creamed onions, without cheese, can be made (but not gratinéed) 1 day ahead. Chill, uncovered, until cool, then covered. Bring to room temperature, then reheat in a 400°F oven about 20 minutes before sprinkling with cheese and broiling.

recipe courtesy of Gourmet magazine

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE EVERYONE!!!!!!!










Comments

  1. Ummmm, okay I am checking in .... how was Christmas Eve, Christmas Dinner?? 1st Day of Christmas??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need the 1st Day of Christmas recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend cooking challenge #1

Spring Has Sprung!

Time for the Cork